What are you?

A blog dedicated to four college students' creative adventures and self-growth.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Adventure Never Ends

I'm so grateful that I was able to participate in the Creative Adventures blog. As a writer I seek new experiences that inspire a drive to create. Adventures are perfect for this, but sometimes we need the comfort of a group and the pressure of a deadline to pursue one.

Although the prospect of giving away free hugs, writing a love song, and dressing tacky seem simple enough, with all three I felt my stomach fill with butterflies. It's not just these challenges though, in many situations I find that I respond to fear by flying away to the next place of comfort. But sometimes the steady rush of a beating heart can fill you with excitement. Imagine a girl with a hundred yellow butterflies glowing through her stomach. She is ready to take off, she has the potential--will she seize the day? I completed all three challenges, because creativity is approachable. Nothing and no one can stop me from expressing myself and creating my life but myself.

The free hugs challenge was a great way for me to communicate with the people I see every day on campus. Our student body is overwhelming, and as a transfer, out-of-state student, it was easy for me to get caught up in the routine paths to and from classes without thinking about the hundreds of anonymous faces I passed along the way. But I've left that autopilot mindset behind and will now walk through campus, downtown, even the supermarket engaged and aware of the space I share with people, some of whom may be in need of a hug.

Writing a love song was nerve wracking at first, but how could I not perform and write a song when I was faced with the challenge and had the equipment? The day after I posted my love song was my birthday, and as creations tend to be, the song was like a gift to myself. Hopefully, I won't need a challenge next time I want to write a song. Lyrics are lovely words strung together with sound, and I could definitely write more. I've tried to listen more carefully for melodies since then, and I've discovered that there are so many sounds and rhythms of the day.

Tacky day was fun and a tactful way of standing out. It made me realize the potential in every article of clothing. As of now I know I own too too too many clothes and plan of giving some away, selling some, and altering others. All in all it's not what you wear, but how you wear it.

I'm excited to finish up this school semester, but it's always sad to say goodbye to a project. Of course this won't mean an end to the adventures, and I have a few in mind. I recently disassemble my bed and put my mattress on the floor. Much more comfortable I must say, but I'm left with 5 long panels of wood in my possession. I think I might use them to put together a room divider to place over my doorway. This summer I'm also heading beginning an internship with this great alternative medicine website, and beginning volunteer DJ shifts at my school's radio station. I also have two guitars, a ukulele, and a tambourine. Songwriting will continue and hopefully flourish over summer break.

At the end of this Creative Adventure blog the real question is: What is your next adventure?

The DDD

No comments:

Post a Comment