What are you?

A blog dedicated to four college students' creative adventures and self-growth.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Is it pajama day?"

As a way to explore the phenomenon known as "wearing pajamas to class," which I have always found a bit tacky, I decided to wear the worse combination of sleeping clothes I owned.

My pants were hot pink fleece with a Hello Kitty print; my shirt a yellow tanktop with assorted small print; my jacket a cropped gray heart-embroidered creature; and my shoes overly large leopard print boot slippers.

Walking to class was probably the hardest part. I passed so many people, including a little girl who looked enthusiastic to see Hello Kitty. Many were businessmen with scowls on their face, but I decided that if I was to wear anything, I would do it in confidence.

Arriving in class, I found that I was more comfortable than normal. Many people laughed and said my pajamas were cute or that I looked comfortable, and I assured them that I was. No one was outright rude to me or even ridiculed my strange clothes, something that I hypothesized was a social convention not to openly insult someone who dresses ridiculous--at least to their face. While I cannot vouch for what was said in secret, I was met only with openness and excitement.

Would I wear my pajamas to class again? Well, no. Not unless I was running really late in the morning. But I did find that acting confident even in strange clothes gives you an air of normalcy. Wear anything with your chin up, and no one will bother you.

No comments:

Post a Comment