What are you?

A blog dedicated to four college students' creative adventures and self-growth.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tacky is the New Cute

Tacky day sprung up on me this week. It’s my birthday weekend and as such, a time to look cute! Before I knew it the week was coming to an end so I had to squeeze in the tackiness for Thursday. I anticipated this challenge to be the most difficult for me as I usually dress the way I feel. Sometimes not doing so can throw my day off balance.

I rummaged through purple bins of clothes and picked out an aqua blue shirt with the kanji symbol for serenity printed in black. I thought of this shirt immediately when I heard of the challenge; a perfect excuse to wear a shirt I love, but always thought was more appropriate for …sleep attire or sick days. Matched together with a black and white striped skirt the tackiness was increasing. This skirt is also one of my favorite pieces, but I would have never thought of putting the two together if tacky hadn’t been on my mind. I slipped on some coffee colored penny loafers and went outside to check out the weather. The morning was a bit chilly so I picked out my favorite fuchsia knit hoodie, and a glittery fuchsia and turquoise scarf for pizzazz. “Matching is tacky,” I heard the high school fashionista in me cry. And with that I believed my outfit was tacky approved. On to face the public.

In deciding what to wear, I thought about what tacky really meant. I don’t believe it means feeling uncomfortable about what you’re wearing. But was I tacky enough? I actually liked what I was wearing. It’s definitely something I wouldn’t have worn normally. It was, however, colorful and different and I liked it! Not your t-shirt and jeans kind of outfit. As I walked to my car, the trees seemed to look at me funny. Inside my house, sure it was fun to place dress up, but with the world in the background it became something else. My bold colors were striking, but throughout the day I didn’t notice any strange glances. I had a meeting with my advisor and she said I looked cute. I had my computer with me, which is also fuchsia. I guess if my outfit matches my computer, tackiness is truly accomplished.

The outfit and I drove 5 hours to Kentucky where I picked up my friend who was going to ride back with me to celebrate my birthday in Atlanta. I had a birthday dinner with my parents who didn’t say anything about what I was wearing. They were only happy to see me. I guess this proves that you can wear anything this day and age. I am happy with my tack experience. If I ever get bored with neutral colors, I’ll keep tacky day in mind. I’m sure come up with something ridiculously awesome.

The DDD

No comments:

Post a Comment