What are you?

A blog dedicated to four college students' creative adventures and self-growth.

Friday, April 1, 2011

International Lullaby

(Verse 1)
любить (infinitive verb, meaning "to love" pronounced "Lewbeet") the beat of my heart
I knew from the start
That man was trouble
любить the beat of the dance
Never cared for romance
I remember the coolness of his touch
Never felt that much
That man gave me such a rush

(Chorus)
My Russian love
My international love
Winter days snow-capped nights
What has ever felt so right
My Russian lover
My international lover
Chilled days blazing hot nights
What has ever felt that right

(Verse 2)
любить the feelings I feel
His kiss, his touch It's real
I'm beside myself
Think of nothing else
This man has control
He's in my soul

(Chorus)
My Russian love
My international love
Warm-wrapped nights
Holding him tight
My Russian lover
My international lover
It's real It's real It's so real

(Bridge)
Lying in my lonely bed tonight
I think of Russian ice, My sexy Moscovite
The people throwing white rice
I see the light, I think I'm leaving tonight
First plane out, I'm going back
Friends, family understand, I'm leaving my homeland
Never been so bold and I hate the cold
But here I am packing a winter coat

(Music) ( Russian phrases spoken by male in background, English translation not part of song, added only for reader benefit)

(Verse 3)
Good morning
(Добрый день любовника ; Good morning, lover)
It's so right to be here with you
My love, my Russian love, my international love
Be with me
(Я хочу ; I want to)
Forever
(Давай ; Let's)
Snow-capped days, nights wrapped tight
My Russian lullaby
(Моя жена ; My wife)

Okay, so...
I haven't written a song since I was, like, nine years old. My cousin and I had decided we were going to become a rap duo a la Salt n' Peppa. We wrote our raps and performed them on our grandmother's front porch. Shudder. I still remember parts of those songs. Yes, they sucked.
Fast forward...
I now present to you, with my prestigious lyric writing background, International Lullaby. I admit, of the three challenges, I looked forward to this one the least. But turns out I enjoyed writing my song. I even kind of got teary at the end. I know the mechanics are off. Verse 2 is really short etc., but I like my little project. I think I will be writing more songs. It was an escape, not entirely unlike fiction writing, but not as cumbersome. Fiction lays on you, like a heavy cloak. You wear it and surround yourself with it and become immersed in the world you're creating. With a song, there's more freedom. Like pouring out feelings and thoughts without worrying that you're contradicting something written way back on page 119. A song lets you be as creative as possible with the short time allotted to express yourself.
I'll stop here before this becomes a novel.
Great challenge idea, team!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That was a really interesting song. I can truly feel the passion that the writer has for her lover. I think that this writing is very heart-felt and sincere. Great job, Adventurer 1! I can't wait to read more of your writing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna, thank you for such a wonderful compliment!

    ReplyDelete