What are you?

A blog dedicated to four college students' creative adventures and self-growth.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Adventurer 1 Signing Off

Well, it's been an interesting few weeks, and what started out as a list of stunts turned into something deep. I learned something from each challenge, but I have my favorites, and my favorites aren't at all what I expected.
The love song challenge takes the number one slot for me. I had it pegged for last place. I love creative writing and, in fact, it is my major as I'm sure I've mentioned somewhere on this blog. My song turned into the laments of characters for me. Seriously I thought about the "plot" of International Lullaby for days after I posted it. What I learned from the challenge is a new way to get the creative juices flowing. I haven't penned another song yet, but I plan on it.
In second place is The Free Hugs Challenge, which is right where I figured it would be. I'm not shy. I used to be, but life taught me (is teaching me) that it's productive to start up a conversation or voice an opinion. In fact, in the real working world, of which I've been a part of and am a part of (I'm a returning student), it's something everyone had better get comfortable with. This challenge solidified my opinion of myself as not being a wallflower when a situation calls for a leader. What I learned, though, is that I can use my personality to uplift others, and that people enjoy, really enjoy, kindness from strangers. Helping someone isn't always about giving financial aid. Anyone has the power to help if help can come in the form of something as simple as a hug.
And finallly, the challenge I thought would be my favorite...Tacky Day. The lesson was profound and I had a great time putting my outfit together. I was impressed with the level of respect people have for each other, though dissapointed that it didn't lead to any conversations. But would it have been better if people behaved badly? I thought so, but on rethink, no it wouldn't have. Why set out to lose faith in the human spirit? It worked out just the way it should have.
On my Tacky Day, I went to visit my dad in the big four-hour gap between classes on Tuesdays. About an hour after arriving, I couldn't help myself and I asked him what he thought about my outfit. He said he hadn't noticed it, then upon inspection, said it was cute. What he was seeing was the person inside that getup. The person who he used to stand on top of his feet and dance around. The person who was visiting because he wasn't feeling well.
We should all be so lucky as to experience a world seeing us for the people we are and not for the made-to-impress junk that we wear.
It's been real, folks, and a wonderful experience. Keep daring to be different, and remember, the comfort zone is not your friend.
See you in blogland.
Adventurer 1

No comments:

Post a Comment